Online Legal Forms -- Click Here

What court jurisdiction governs my access rights?

Video: What court jurisdiction governs my access rights?

By: Steven Benmor, B.Sc., LL.B., Family Lawyer

Jurisdiction: Ontario (Canada)

… I can’t speak for Quebec law, but to use Ontario as a barometer, Family Law with respect to custody rights and visitation rights or access rights, goes accordingly. It goes by the province or by the law of the location of where the child resides. So in your case, your daughter is governed by Quebec law. And in Ontario, for example, if you for example where to live in Oshawa and your daughter, just by way of exmaple, where to live in Barrie, you would actually have to go to the Barrie courthouse to seek any rights or remedies with respect to your daughter. And likewise because your daughter is in Quebec, you would actually have to go Quebec, or to the Quebec court in the city in … (click here for more)

Steven Benmor

(’First Take Live’ video clips courtesy of Dan Carter Productions. Original Broadcast: 2007) About the author: Steven Benmor practices Family Law in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Visit Steven Benmor’s online Family Law Resource Center for concise answers to many more frequently asked Family law questions, feature articles on Family law topics, dozens of links to other Family law websites, and more at The information on this page is for discussion purposes only. It is by no means legal advice or even a statement of the law on this subject. Please do not rely on the accuracy or completeness of this information. Any question or concern elicited by the information on this page should be taken to a lawyer who will consider the facts of each case and the legal remedies available.